Lady Katherine's Legacy
Henry VIII gave the manor of Temple Balsall to his last wife, Queen Catherine Parr, and eventually it came to Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester and later to his grand-daughters, Lady Anne Holbourne, and her sister Lady Katherine Leveson.
Lady Katherine Leveson died in 1674. Under the terms of her will she left a bequest to erect 20 almshouses.
The first residents moved in five years later and we have been offering care to older people from that time.
Originally built by William Hulbutt at a cost of £960, the almshouses were substantially rebuilt during the early 18th centrury.
Since that time, rebuilding of the Master’s house, continual repair and refurbishment have achieved the beautiful, more practical buildings, we have today.
We now offer homes to both men and women in 16 sheltered appartments and 29 residential care apartments, some of which are for double occupancy.
At Lady Katherine Housing and Care we provide a secure and caring environment which meets the individual needs of each resident. We have 29 residential apartments, some of which are in the Courtyard and some in the former Master’s House. All have en suite facilities.
“Our mission and purpose is to offer care, comfort, nurture, respect and dignity within an environment which is both safe and stimulating”